Game Central (Friday, August 15) vs. Birmingham
Game #123: Jackson Generals 25-28 (56-66) vs. Birmingham Barons 24-29 (53-70)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | Ballpark at Jackson | Jackson, Tennessee
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Victor Sanchez (6-4, 3.93) vs. RHP Chris Bassitt (1-0, 1.06)
Radio: Online Only | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue a 6-game series in 5 days with their North Division rival Birmingham Barons with game 4 of the series (3-1)…Jackson is 9-4 this season against the Barons and 6-2 in games played in Jackson…the Generals have won 6 of their last 10 games and 4 of their last 7 series’ overall.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals scored 5 runs combined between the 2nd and 3rd inning to take a 5-2 lead, but Jackson fell to Birmingham 6-5 on Thursday night.
• C Steve Baron (3×4, RBI) led the team with 3 hits, while LF Dario Pizzano (1×4, R, 2B, 3 RBI, BB) drove in 3 of the Generals 5 runs. • Starter Stephen Landazuri (4.0,7,5,5,3,3,3HR) allowed 5 runs on 7 hits over 4.0 innings, but did not factor into the decision. LH Nick Hill (1.1,1,0,0,1,1) and RH Mayckol Guaipe (1.0,2,0,0,0,1) each had a scoreless outing, while RH Moises Hernandez (2.2,2,1,1,1,0) recorded his 7th loss after allowing a run in the top of the 8th inning.
LARA LEADING THE MINORS IN HITS:
• Jordy Lara currently has 160 hits this season between High Desert and Jackson, which leads all of the minors…Mississippi’s Jose Peraza and Wilmer Difo of the HagerstownTigers are T-2nd with 158…Lara also ranks T-5th in the minors in extra-base hits (62) and 11th in OPS (.995).
GENERALS CLOSE SEASON WITH 21 GAMES IN 21 DAYS:
• The Generals are in the midst of playing 21 games in 21 days to close the season (3-1) including 7 more home games (BIR, CHA) with road trips to Huntsville and Montgomery. 12 of the final 17 games are against North Division foes. Jackson is 32-26 against their remaining opponents.
DID YOU KNOW?
• YOU ALREADY KNEW that Jordy Lara was leading the minors in hits, but DID YOU KNOW? that in RBI’s, D.J. Peterson ranks 3rd in all of the minors (97), while Patrick Kivlehan ranks 4th (96) and Lara 7th with 93 this season.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Barons visit Jackson again – The Generals are hosting Birmingham for the second time this season and are 6-2 in games at Jackson and 9-4 overall…As a team the Generals are batting .307 against Birmingham this season with 69 runs scored in 13 games.
• Since 2005, the Generals/Diamond Jaxx are 46-24 (.657) against the Barons in games played in Jackson.
• Getting it done on the mound – Jackson is 8-5 in August and posted a 2.95 ERA.
• Over his last 3 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 2-1 with a 0.47 ERA (1 ER, 19.1 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .200 (14×70) average, while walking 4 and striking out 16.
• LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run over his last 16.1 innings (9G/1GS). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .193 (11×57) average, while walking 4 and striking 7.
• Since May 24, RH Stephen Shackleford is 3-1 with a 1.44 ERA (4 ER, 25.0 IP) in 19 relief appearances. During this 19 game stretch he has lowered his season ERA from 4.71 to 3.19, while striking out 35 batters in 25.0 innings.
• RHP Trevor Miller earned his 2nd save in his last 3 outings Tuesday night. Miller is now 2-1, with a 1.64 ERA, with 39 strikeouts and 11 walks in 14 games as a reliever. As a starter, Miller is 3-7, with a 5.45 ERA, with 46 strikeouts and 30 walks in 13 starts.
• C Steve Baron has hit safely in 6 straight games, including 4 straight multi-hit efforts, batting .500 (11×22) with 2 runs, 3 doubles, 3 RBI and a stolen base. He has upped his average from .175 to .290.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games, batting .386 (17×44) with 10 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 6 walks.
• After recording 1 hit in his first 14 AA at-bats (.071), OF Jordy Lara his hit safely in each of his last 11 of his last 13 games, batting .367 (18×49) with 6 runs scored, 7 doubles, 1 home run, 13 RBI and 3 walks. Overall Lara is batting .302 (19×63) with 7 runs scored, 8 doubles, 1 home run, 13 RBI and 6 walks in 16 games with Jackson.
KIVLEHAN IS AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks 1st in the Southern League in batting (.321) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.527). Kivlehan also ranks 4th in the M’s organization in average (.309), 4th in HR (19) and 2nd in RBI (95) between Jackson and High Desert. Kivlehan ranks T-2nd in all of MiLB having played in 121 games this season. He ranks 4th in the minors in RBIs with 95.
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
1st Patrick Kivlehan JXN .321
2nd Jake Lamb MOB .318
3rd Rangel Ravelo BIR .317
4th Tom Belza MOB .314
5th Ryan Brett MTG .307
6th Kevan Smith BIR .305