Game Central (Thursday, August 28) at Montgomery
Game #135: Jackson Generals 29-36 (60-74) at Montgomery Biscuits 29-36 (64-71)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | Riverwalk Stadium | Montgomery, Alabama
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Pike (3-4, 8.37) vs. RHP Mike Colla (7-12, 4.60)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals begin their final road trip and series of the season tonight with game 1 of a 5-game series at Montgomery…Jackson dropped 3 of 5 from Chattanooga in previous series.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• LF Patrick Kivlehan and 1B Jordy Lara each drove in 1 of the Generals 2 runs, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson fell to Chattanooga 8-2 on Tuesday night.
• Lara (2×2, 2B RBI, 2 BB), who reached base safely in all 4 plate appearances, and 2B Patrick Brady (2×4, R) each led the team with 2 hits. Kivlehan (1×4, RBI, BB), DH Dan Paolini (1×5, R), 3B D.J. Peterson (1×5), CF Kevin Rivers (1×4) and C Tyler Marlette (1×4) each recorded 1 of the team’s 10 hits.
• Starter Victor Sanchez (5.1,5,5,5,1,6,2HR) recorded the loss, allowing 5 runs on 5 hits over 5.1 innings. LH Nick Hill (0.1,4,3,3,0,1) allowed 3 runs as part of a 5-run 6th inning, while RH Matt Brazis (2.0,1,0,0,0,1) and RH Stephen Shackleford (1.1,1,0,0,0,1) combined to hold the Lookouts scoreless over the final 3.1 innings.
THE 100 RBI CLUB:
• Of the 7 minor league players this season to record at least 100 RBI this, the Mariners currently have 3 players on the list. Seattle is the only franchise with at least 2 players with at least 100 RBI this season and have 4 players that rank in the top 11. INF D.J. Peterson currently ranks 3rd in the minor league with 104 RBI, while INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan and INF Jordy Lara are each T4th this season. Hi-A High Desert OF Jabari Henry is currently T11th in 2014 with 95 RBI.
SIX 2014 GENERALS HEADED TO THE AFL:
• The Mariners, affiliated in 2014 with the Surprise Saguaros are sending current General pitchers RH Matt Brazis and RH Stephen Landazuri along with position players D.J. Peterson and Patrick Kivlehan to the AFL.
• Current High Desert pitcher Matt Anderson and Tacoma catcher John Hicks will play for Surprise. Jackson trainer
• B.J. Downie will serve as athletic trainer for the Saguaros, who will partner with the the Red Sox, Reds, Padres and Rangers in 2014.
BIG SEASON FOR PETERSON IN 2014:
• The Mariners 1st round pick, 12th overall in 2013 ranks 3rd among all minor league players wth 104 RBI combined between High Deset and Jackson. He also is T10th in the minor leagues with 28 home runs.
LARA LOOKING TO LEAD MINORS IN HITS:
• INF Jordy Lara ranks among all minor league players in hits (2nd/173), RBI (T5th/102), extra-base hits (5th/68) over 131 games combined between High Desert and Jackson.
DID YOU KNOW?
• YOU (MAY) ALREADY KNOW that the Generals concluded their home schedule Tuesday and drew 135,248 fans, but DID YOU KNOW? that it is the highest cumulative attendance since drawing 140,445 in 2008.
• Simply Seager: Despite the loss to Texas yesterday, 2011 General Kyle Seager hit his 20th home run of the season, his 3rd straight 20+ home run season…He is the 3rd Mariners player to hit 20+ home runs in 3 of his first 4 Major League seasons and joins Ken Griffey Jr. and Jim Presley as the only Mariners to do so.
• 2012 Jackson catcher Mike Zunino hit his 19th home run of the season, one behind Seager for the team lead.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Bring on the Biscuits…again: The Generals make their second and final trip to Montgomery in 2014 and are 7-8 this season and 2-3 at Riverwalk Stadium.
• Jackson is batting .272 against Montgomery this season and have out-scored the Biscuits 79-76 in the first 15 games.
• Leading the SL in Homers Since July 1st – After hitting just 40 home runs over their first 81 games, Jackson has hit 47 home runs over their last 53 games since July 1st which leads the SouthernLeague in that period of time. The Generals have hit league-leading 26 home runs in August and 11 in their last 10 games.
• Tyler Olson remains hot on the mound – Over his last 5 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 4-1 with a 1.45 ERA (5 ER, 31.0 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .220 (26×118) average, while walking 5 and striking out 27. After going 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA (36 ER, 71.0 IP) over his first 13 AA starts, Olson is 6-2 with a 2.48 ERA (13 ER, 47.1 IP) over his last 8 starts.
LH Kyle Hunter has allowed only 1 run over his last 24.0 innings (0.38 ERA). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .190 (16×84) average, while walking 6 and striking 12.
• INF Dan Paolini has hit in 5 straight games with 2 multi-hit efforts. He’s batting .444 (8×18) with 3 doubles, 4 runs, 1 RBI and 3 walks.