Game Central (Sunday, August 31) at Montgomery
Game #138: Jackson Generals 30-38 (61-76) at Montgomery Biscuits 31-37 (66-72)
Time/Place: 5:35 pm CT | Riverwalk Stadium | Montgomery, Alabama
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Stephen Landazuri (6-5, 3.94) vs. LHP Jim Patterson (4-0, 3.81)
Radio: Online Only | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue their final series and road trip of the season today with game 4 of a 5-game set at Montgomery…Jackson dropped 3 of 5 from Chattanooga in previous series.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• Starter Tyler Olson allowed only 2 hits over 7.0 scoreless innings to lead Jackson to a 4-3 over Montgomery on Saturday night.
• Olson (7.0,2,0,0,2,3) earned his 12th win of the season and 10th with Jackson, allowing only 2 hits over 7.0 shutout innings. RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,1,0,0,1,3,WP) allowed 1 hit, walked 1 and struck out 3 in the 8th inning, while RH Mayckol Guaipe (1.0,3,3,3,1,0) allowed 3 rund in the 9th inning before recording the final 3 outs to close out the game.
• SS Tyler Smith (3×5, R, 3B) led the team with 3 hits, while CF Patrick Kivlehan (2×5, R), 1B Dan Paolini (2×4, R), LF Kevin Rivers (2×4, 2B, 2 RBI) and C Tyler Marlette (2×4, 2B) each recorded 2 of the Generals 15 hits.
MORE ON TYLER OLSON:
• Over 5 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson went 5-1 with a 1.18 ERA (5 ER, 38.0 IP). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .199 (28×141) average, while walking 7 and striking out 30. After going 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA (36 ER, 71.0 IP) over his first 13 AA starts, Olson went 7-2 with a 2.15 ERA (13 ER, 54.1 IP) over his final 9 starts.
• Olson became the franchises first 10-game winner since J.R. Mathes accomplished the feat in 2006 (10-8).That was a year prior to Jackson becoming an affiliate of the Mariners.
DID YOU KNOW?
• YOU ALREADY KNOW that Tyler Olson become the first Jackson pitcher in eight years to win 10 games in a season on the mound, but DID YOU KNOW? that the last Mariner Double-A pitcher to record 10 wins was LH Thomas Oldham in 2005 with the San Antonio Missions.
• The Mariners conclude a 6-game homestand with the finale game of a three-game set vs. the Washington Nationals (0-2)…travel after today’s game to begin a 2-city, 7-game road trip with the Athletics (3 games) and Rangers (4 games).
• The Mariners are currently 1.5 games back of the 2nd wildcard spot in the American League.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Bring on the Biscuits…again: The Generals make their second and final trip to Montgomery in 2014 and are 8-10 this season and 2-5 at Riverwalk Stadium.
• Jackson is batting .264 against Montgomery this season and have been out-scored by the Biscuits 87-84 in the 18 games.
• Leading the SL in Homers Since July 1st – After hitting just 40 home runs over their first 81 games, Jackson has hit 47 home runs over their last 55 games since July 1st which leads the SouthernLeague in that period of time. The Generals have hit 27 home runs in August which is 2nd in the SL and 12 in their last 13 games.
• Peterson blasts homer 11 and 29 on Saturday – INF D.J. Peterson blasted his 11th Jackson home run and 29th overall this season on Saturday night. Peterson currently ranks 2nd in the Mariners minors behind Jabari Henry of High Desert (30) in home runs and is T11th in all of MiLB.
• LH Kyle Hunter has allowed only 1 run over his last 25.1 innings (0.36 ERA). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .180 (16×89) average, while walking 6 and striking 13…After posting a 4.10 ERA in 16 1st half games, Hunter has a 2.60 ERA in 21 2nd half games.
POSTSEASON ALL-STARS :
• The Southern League announced the 2014 Postseason All-Stars Friday and Ketel Marte was named to the squad at shortstop and Patrick Kivlehan as utility player. Kivlehan has appeared in games at 1B, 3B, LF, RF, CF and DH.
THE 100 RBI CLUB:
• Of the 10 minor league players this season to record at least 100 RBI this season, the Mariners currently have 3 players on the list. Seattle is the only franchise with 3 players with at least 100 RBI this season (Colorado has 2) and have 4 players that rank in the top 13. INF D.J. Peterson currently ranks T3rd in the minor league with 105 RBI, while INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan ranked 5th with 103 and INF Jordy Lara is T6th with 102. OF Jabari Henry is currently T13th in 2014 with 95 RBI.
SIX 2014 GENERALS HEADED TO THE AFL:
• The Mariners, affiliated in 2014 with the Surprise Saguaros are sending current General pitchers RH Matt Brazis and RH Stephen Landazuri along with position players D.J. Peterson and Patrick Kivlehan to the AFL.
• Current High Desert pitcher Matt Anderson and Tacoma catcher John Hicks will play for Surprise. Jackson trainer B.J. Downie will serve as athletic trainer for the Saguaros, who will partner with the the Red Sox, Reds, Padres and Rangers in 2014.