Game Central (Monday, September 1) at Montgomery
Game #139: Jackson Generals 31-38 (62-76) at Montgomery Biscuits 31-38 (66-73)
Time/Place: 12:05 pm CT | Riverwalk Stadium | Montgomery, Alabama
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Victor Sanchez (7-6, 3.99) vs. RHP Victor Mateo (12-10, 3.72)
Radio: Online Only | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
Roster | 2014 Schedule | 2014 Promotions | 2014 Stats | Current SL Standings | MLB Game Notes | Mariners Roster | MLB Standings
• The Generals conclude their final series and road trip of the season today with the rubber match of a 5-game set at Montgomery…Jackson dropped 3 of 5 from Chattanooga in previous series.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals came back from a 6-4 deficit on Sunday night to defeat Montgomery 7-6 and even the series at 2-2.
• LF Dan Paolini (4×5) homered in the first and was a triple shy of the cycle. Paolini’s 4-hit game was his second of the season (last 8/9 at PEN). 1B D.J. Peterson (2×5, RBI), C Tyler Marlette (2×4, HR) joined Paolini with multi-hit games on Sunday.
• It was just the 6th time in 62 games that Jackson has won win trailing after six innings.
• Starter Stephen Landazuri (4.1,6,6,6,3,3) did not factor into the decision in his final start of 2014. LH Kyle Hunter (2.2,2,0,0,1,2) picked up the win as he, LH Nick Hill (1.0,0,0,0,1,1) and RH Matt Brazis (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) shutout the Biscuits over the final 5.2 innings. Brazis recorded his 2nd save.
OLSON BECOMES FIRST 10-GAME WINNER SINCE ‘06:
• Over 5 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson went 5-1 with a 1.18 ERA (5 ER, 38.0 IP). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .199 (28×141) average, while walking 7 and striking out 30. After going 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA (36 ER, 71.0 IP) over his first 13 AA starts, Olson went 7-2 with a 2.15 ERA (13 ER, 54.1 IP) over his final 9 starts.
• Olson became the franchises first 10-game winner since J.R. Mathes accomplished the feat in 2006 (10-8).That was a year prior to Jackson becoming an affiliate of the Mariners.
POSTSEASON ALL-STARS :
• The Southern League announced the 2014 Postseason All-Stars Friday and Ketel Marte was named to the squad at shortstop and Patrick Kivlehan as utility player. Kivlehan has appeared in games at 1B, 3B, LF, RF, CF and DH.
THE 100 RBI CLUB:
• Of the 10 minor league players this season to record at least 100 RBI this season, the Generals currently have 3 players on the list. Seattle is the only franchise with 3 players with at least 100 RBI this season (Colorado has 2) and have 4 players that rank in the top 13. INF D.J. Peterson currently ranks 3rd in the minor league with 106 RBI, while INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan and INF Jordy Lara are T5th with 103. High Desert OF Jabari Henry is currently T13th in 2014 with 95 RBI.
SIX 2014 GENERALS HEADED TO THE AFL:
• The Mariners, affiliated in 2014 with the Surprise Saguaros are sending current General pitchers RH Matt Brazis and RH Stephen Landazuri along with position players D.J. Peterson and Patrick Kivlehan to the AFL.
• Current High Desert pitcher Matt Anderson and Tacoma catcher John Hicks will play for Surprise. Jackson trainer B.J. Downie will serve as athletic trainer for the Saguaros, who will partner with the the Red Sox, Reds, Padres and Rangers in 2014.
DID YOU KNOW?
• YOU ALREADY KNOW that the Generals won their 62nd game of the season on Sunday, but DID YOU KNOW? ..that it matched the win total of 2013 and only twice in the 17-year history of the franchise has the club ended the season with less than 62 wins. (60 in 2007, 59 in 2001).
• Seattle snapped an 11-game losing streak vs. the Nationals yesterday with a 5-3 win (since June 10, 2005).
• Defeated them for the first time since they moved to Washington (last: vs. Expos on June 13, 2004).
• Former Jackson 2B Dustin Ackley hit a go-ahead 3-run home run in the 5th inning, his 2nd home run in as many days. He has 7 home runs in his last 28 games (as well as 5 doubles, 2 triples and 26 RBI) since July 31.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Bring on the Biscuits…again: The Generals conclude their season series with Montgomery today and are 9-10 overall this season against the Biscuits and 4-5 at Riverwalk Stadium.
• Jackson is batting .264 against Montgomery this season and have been out-scored by the Biscuits 87-84 in the 18 games.
• Leading the SL in Homers Since July 1st – After hitting just 40 home runs over their first 81 games, Jackson has hit 50 home runs over their last 57 games since July 1st which leads the Southern League in that period of time. The Generals have hit 29 home runs in August which is 2nd in the SL and 14 in their last 14 games.
• Peterson blasts homer 11 and 29 on Saturday – INF D.J. Peterson blasted his 11th Jackson home run and 29th overall this season on Saturday night. Peterson currently ranks 2nd in the Mariners minors behind Jabari Henry of High Desert (30) in home runs and is T11th in all of MiLB.
• LH Kyle Hunter has allowed only 1 run over his last 28.0 innings (0.32 ERA). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .182 (18×99) average, while walking 6 and striking 13…After posting a 4.10 ERA in 16 first half games, Hunter has a 2.41 ERA in 22 second half games.