Game Central (Friday, May 2) vs. Pensacola
Game #28: Jackson Generals (14-13) vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos (10-17) | 7:05 pm | The Ballpark at Jackson
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Trevor Miller (0-3, 5.40) vs. RHP Jon Moscot (1-1, 2.22)
Promotions: Flat Screen Friday
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue their five-game series (2-0) with Pensacola tonight with game three of the set..the Generals went 1-4 on the last road trip to Mobile and are 5-5 in the last 10 games…this is the 3rd of 10 meetings this season with the Wahoos and their only visit to Jackson.
• Tonight is Flat Screen Friday with one lucky fan taking home a new 50 inch flat screen television.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• Starter Jochi Ogando tossed 4.0 scoreless innings and 2B Nate Melendres hit his frist home run of the season as Jackson defeated Pensacola 5-1 on Thursday night.
• Ogando (4.0,4,0,0,3,5) tossed 4.0 scoreless innings, but didn’t factor into the decision. LH Jordan Shipers (1.0,1,0,0,1,0) and RH Richard Vargas (1.1,1,0,0,3,2) combined to hole the Blue Wahoos scoreless over 2.1 innings in relief. RH Stephen Shackleford (2.2,2,1,0,2,2) recorded his 3rd win of the season, despite allowing an unearned run in the top of the 9th inning.
• Melendres (1×3, R, HR, RBI), SS Ketel Marte (1×4, R, 2B), CF Leon Landry (1×4, R, 2B), LF Dan Paolini (1×3, R, 2B, BB) and C Manny Pina (1×3, 2 RBI) each recorded 1 of the teams 5 hits.
• SS Ketel Marte has reached base safely in 12 straight home games batting .396, with 4 doubles, 1 RBI, 5 walks and a .453 on-base percentage.
• OF Dan Paolini has reached base safely in 9 straight home games batting .267 with 3 doubles, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 5 walks and a .371 on-base percentage.
HOW MANY STARTERS SO FAR!?!?:
• After Sunday’s spot start by LH Jordan Shipers, the Generals have used 11 starters in the first 25 games of the season. Trevor Miller, Stephen Landazuri, Victor Sanchez, Jordan Pries, Cam Hobson, Taijuan Walker, Kyle Hunter, Moises Hernandez, Jochi Ogando, James Gillheeney, and Shipers.
WON’T GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT:
• Generals batters have struck out the fewest amount of times in the Southern League so far in 2014 (174, 6.4 SO/G).
• OF Jamal Austin leads the league in total plate appearances per strikeout (1/15), with OF Leon Landry (1/13.50).
• RHP Mayckol Guaipe has not allowed an earned run over 15.0 innings to begin the season (8 G). He has limited opponents .196 (11×56) average, while walking 1 and striking out 15.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed 1 earned run over his last 12.0 innings in relief (8 G). Overall this season he is 1-0 with 2 saves and a 1.35 ERA (2 ER, 13.1 IP) in 9 relief appearances. He has limited opponents to a .240 average (12×50), while walking 1 and striking out 16. LHP
James Gillheeney is 1-0 with a 1.64 ERA (2 ER, 11.0 IP) in 2 starts with Jackson.
AROUND THE MARINERS MINORS:
• C Marcus Littlewood recorded 2 hits and drove in 2 runs as Clinton defeated Quad Cities 5-4 in game 1 of a doublehearder on Thursday night. CF Burt Reynold hit a 3-run home run in the top of the 7th inning as Clinton came-from-behind to defeat Quad Cities 3-1 in game 2 of the DH. LF Dario Pizzano and DH D.J. Peterson combined to drive in 7 runs as High Desert defeated Lancaster 13-7 on Thursday night. The Rain iers scored 2 runs in the top of the 9th inning, but their rally fell short as Tacoma lost to Sacramento 7-11 on Thursday night. 3B Gabriel Noriega (4×5, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI) led the team with a season-high 4 hits.
HOSTING THE WAHOOS:
• The Generals host the Pensacola Blue Wahoos for the only time this season, April 30-May 4 at The Ballpark at Jackson.
• The lone trip to Pensacola for Jackson will be August 6-10 at Pensacola Bayfront Stadium.
• The Generals were 6-4 last season against the Wahoos and since coming into the league in 2012 Jackson is 16-11 against the Cincinnati Reds’ Double-A affiliate.