Game Central (Sunday, May 4) vs. Pensacola
Game #30: Jackson Generals (14-15) vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos (12-17) | 6:05 pm | The Ballpark at Jackson
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Olson (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Michael O’Brien (0-2, 5.73)
Promotions: Family Fun Day Sunday
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue their five-game series (2-2) with Pensacola tonight with game five and the rubber match of the series…the Generals went 1-4 on the last road trip to Mobile and are 4-6 in the last 10 games…this is the 5th of 10 meetings this season with the Wahoos and their only visit to Jackson.
• Tonight is Family Fun Day Sunday with all kids 12-and-under receiving free admission, ice cream and Sonic Fun Zone accesss.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals held a 1-0 lead after 8.0 innings, but allowed 3 runs in the top of the 9th inning as Jackson lost to Pensacola 3-1 on Saturday.
• Starter Cam Hobson (7.0,4,0,0,2,2) allowed only 4 hits and struck out 2 in 7.0 innings, but failed to recorded a decision despite leaving with a 1-0 lead.
• RH Mayckol Guaipe (2.0,3,3,3,1,2), recorded his first loss of the season after allowing 3 runs in the top of the 9th inning. The 3 earned runs allowed snapped a string of 17.0 innings without an earned run to begin the season.
• CF Jamal Austin (1×4, SB), SS Ketel Marte (1×4, SB), RF Kevin Rivers (1×2, 2 BB), C John Hicks (1×4), 3B Ramon Morla (1×3, R, 3B, HBP) and LF Nate Melendres (1×4) each recorded 1 of the Generals 6 hits. 2B Jack Marder (0x3, RBI, SAC) drove in the only team run with a RBI groundout in the 2nd inning scoring Morla, who had reached base on a triple.
HOW HOT IS HOBSON:
• LHP Cam Hobson has tossed 13.0 scoreless innings over his last 2 starts and has allowed runs in only 1 of the last 19 innings he has appeared over last 3 starts. Since April 23, he is 2-0 with a 1.43 ERA (3 ER, 18.1 IP), while walking 3 and striking out 6 in 3 starts. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .221 (29×131) average, including a .100 (2×20) clip vs. left-handed batters.
• SS Ketel Marte has reached base safely in 14 straight home games batting .393, with 4 doubles, 1 RBI, 5 walks and a .443 on-base percentage. Marte has also hit in 8 of 10 games and the 14-game home on-base streak is the 2nd-longes in the SL.
• OF Dan Paolini has reached base safely in 11 straight home games batting .235 with 3 doubles, 1 home run, 7 RBI, 5 walks and a .395 on-base percentage.
OLSON MAKES 12 STARTERS IN 30 GAMES:
• Today LHP Tyler Olson makes his AA debut and Jackson debut. So far, the Generals have used 12 starters in the first 30 games of the season. Jordan Shipers, Trevor Miller, Stephen Landazuri, Victor Sanchez, Jordan Pries, Cam Hobson, Taijuan Walker, Kyle Hunter, Moises Hernandez, Jochi Ogando, James Gillheeney, and Shipers.
WON’T GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT:
• Generals batters have struck out the fewest amount of times in the Southern League so far in 2014 (174, 6.2 SO/G).
• OF Leon Landry (1/14) leads the league in total plate appearances per strikeout (1/12.6), with OF Jamal Austin ranking 2nd.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed 1 earned run over his last 13.0 innings in relief (9 G). Overall this season he is 1-0 with 2 saves and a 1.26 ERA (2 ER, 14.1 IP) in 10 relief appearances. He has limited opponents to a .241 average (13×54), while walking 1 and striking out 16.
AROUND THE MARINERS MINORS YESTERDAY:
• AAA: at Tacoma, Las Vegas 14-12, T1st, -1.0 POSTPONED – RAIN – The Rainiers have now endured 8 rain-altered games at home so far this season.
• A+: at High Desert 5, Visalia 4 18-12, T1st, +1.0 W-Mathis (3-1) C Steve Baron hit an RBI double in the bottom of the 8th inning to lead High Desert to a 5-4 win over Visalia on Saturday night.
• A-: Clinton 16, at Wisconsin 13 14-13, 5th, -5.0 W-Pineda (2-2) – After jumping out to an early 3-1 lead, the LumberKings needed a 6-run 7th inning and a 5-run 9th inning to rally for a 16-13 win over Wisconsin on Saturday. The LumberKings recorded a season-high 21 hits
HOSTING THE WAHOOS:
• The Generals host the Pensacola Blue Wahoos for the only time this season, April 30-May 4 at The Ballpark at Jackson.
• The lone trip to Pensacola for Jackson will be August 6-10 at Pensacola Bayfront Stadium.
• The Generals were 6-4 last season against the Wahoos and since coming into the league in 2012 Jackson is 16-13 against the Cincinnati Reds’ Double-A affiliate.