Game Central (Monday, May 5) at Huntsville
Game #31: Jackson Generals (14-16) at Huntsville Stars (19-11) | 6:30 pm | Joe Davis Stadium
Pitching Match-Up: LHP James Gillheeney (1-0, 1.64) vs. RHP Tyler Cravy (4-1, 2.59)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals play the first of a 5-game road series at Huntsville tonight against the first place Stars…the Generals have dropped 3 straight series’ after winning their first 3 and are 3-7 in the last 10 games.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• 3B Ramon Morla hit a solo home run in the 5th inning, but that was the only run the Generals would score as Jackson lost to Pensacolo 10-1 on Sunday afternoon.
• Morla recorded his 1st home run of the season with a solo blast with 2 outs in the 5th inning. Morla (1×3, R, HR, RBI), SS Ketel Marte (1×4), CF Jamal Austin (1×4), RF Kevin Rivers (1×4) and 2B Nate Melendres (1×3) each recorded 1 of the Generals 5 hits.
• Starter Tyler Olson (4.0,10,6,6,2,1,HR) recorded the loss in his double-A debut, allowing 6 runs on 10 hits over 4.0 inning. RH Moises Hernandez (3.0,3,1,0,0,1) and LH Jordan Shipers (1.1,2,3,3,5,1) combined to allow 4 runs (3 ER) voer 4.1 innings in relief, while RH Stephen Shackleford (0.20,0,0,0,0,1) retired the only 2 batters faced to close out the game.
HOBSON NAMED SL PITCHER OF THE WEEK:
• The Southern League announced Monday that LHP Cam Hobson has been named Southern League Pitcher of the Week for his performance April 29-May 4. Hobson made 2 starts this past week going 1-0, with a 0.00 ERA having tossed 13 scoreless innings. He allowed just 9 hits while walking 2 and striking out 4 this week. Hobson picked up the win last Monday during the season finale at Mobile firing 6.0 shutout innings and followed it up with 7.0 shutout innings in a no decision on Saturday night against Pensacola.
• SS Ketel Marte has hit safely in each of his last 6 games, batting .292 (7×24) with 4 runs scored, 1 double, 1 walk and 5 stolen baes. After recording only 2 stolen bases in his first 17 games to begin the season, Marte has stole 8 bases in his last 11 games.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed 1 earned run over his last 13.0 innings in relief (9 G). Overall this season he is 1-0 with 2 saves and a 1.26 ERA (2 ER, 14.1 IP) in 10 relief appearances. He has limited opponents to a .241 average (13×54), while walking 1 and striking out 16.
• LHP James Gillheeney is 1-0 with a 1.64 ERA (2 ER, 11.0 IP) in 2 starts with Jackson.
12 STARTERS IN THE FIRST 30 GAMES:
• Sunday, LHP Tyler Olson made his AA debut and Jackson debut. So far, the Generals have used 12 starters in the first 30 games of the season. Jordan Shipers, Trevor Miller, Stephen Landazuri, Victor Sanchez, Jordan Pries, Cam Hobson, Taijuan Walker, Kyle Hunter, Moises Hernandez, Jochi Ogando, James Gillheeney, and Shipers.
AROUND THE MARINERS MINORS YESTERDAY:
• AAA: at Tacoma, Las Vegas 14-12, 1st, +1.0 SUSPENDED – RAIN The first game of the Tacoma Rainiers doubleheader against the Las Vegas 51s originally scheduled to be played at Cheney Stadium yesterday was suspended due to rain. A continuation of the 7.0-inning game will now begin at 6:05 p.m. today. Play will resume with 1 out in the top of the 7th inning and the Rainiers trailing the 51s, 7-5.
• A+: Visalia 9, at High Desert 3 18-13, T2nd, -1.0 L-Bordonaro (0-1) C Tyler Marlette hit a solo home run to lead off the 5th innings, his 5th of the year, but it wasn’t enough as High Desert lost to Visalia 3-9 on Sunday afternoon. Marlette (1×4,R, HR, RBI),
• A-: at Wisconsin 10, Clinton 3 14-14, 5th, -6.0 L-Garcia (0-1) The LumberKings scored a run in the 3rd, 4th and 5th innings, but it wasn’t enough after allowing 6 runs in the first inning as Clinton lost to Wisconsin 3-10 on Sunday afternoon.
ROCKET CITY REUNION:
• The Generals play the 1st of 25 meetings with the Huntsville Stars tonight in game 1 of the series. The clubs will meet 15 times in Huntsville and 10 times in Jackson during the 2014 season.
• Last season Jackson was 9-9 against the Stars and 6-6 at Joe Davis Stadium.