Game Central (Tuesday, May 13) vs. Tennessee
Game #39: Jackson Generals (16-22) vs. Tennessee Smokies (22-16) | 7:05 pm | The Ballpark at Jackson
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Cam Hobson (3-2, 2.16) vs. RHP Pierce Johnson (1-1, 4.05)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• Trailing in the series 2-1, the Generals look to even the series in game 4 of the 5-game set with Tennessee…this is the first leg of a 10-game homestand (1-2) with Tennessee and Montgomery…lost 4 of 5 on last road trip at Huntsville…dropped 4 straight series’ after winning first 3.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals snapped their 4-game losing streak coming from behind to defeat Tennessee 8-6 Monday at home. Jackson used a 4-run 8th inning, capped by Mike Dowd’s (2×4, 2 R, 3 RBI, 3B, HR) 2-run homer to come from behind and pick up win number 16 on the season.
• Jamal Austin (2×4, R, SB), John Hicks (1×4, 2 R, 2 RBI), Nate Melendres (1×4, RBI), Kevin Rivers (1×2, R) contributed to the 7 Jackson hits on the night.
• Jackson starter Victor Sanchez made his first start since April 14th and took a no decision allowing 6 runs, 4 earned on 5 hits over 3.2 innings. He walked none and struck 5 including the Smokies’ side in the 3rd.
• Trevor Miller (2-4, 3.98) made his 1ST relief appearance since June 24, 2012 and picked up the win tossing 5.1 scoreless innings, scattering 2 hits. He struck out 5 and walked just 2.
HICKS AND PAOLINI REACHING BASE:
• C John Hicks had a 2-run double last night and extended his on-base streak to 15 games. During the streak Hicks is batting .241 (14×58), with 2 doubles, 6 runs, 5 walks, 8 RBI and a .297 OBP.
• INF Dan Paolini drew a walk on Monday and has reached base safely in 13 straight games. During the streak he is batting .244 (10×41) with 3 doubles, 1 home run, 5 runs, 10 RBI and 13 walks. His on-base percentage is .431
MARTE IS AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• SS Ketel Marte now ranks 4th in batting AVG (.319), 4th in hits (43), T-4th in stolen bases (12) and is the 4th toughest player in the league to strikeout (1/10.5 AB).
PRINCE MOISES ADDING SOLID RELIEF:
• RH Moises Hernandez, Felix’s older brother has not allowed an earned run in his last 8.1 innings in relief.
BRADY IS LEADING THE BUNCH RIGHT NOW:
• INF Patrick Brady has hit safely in each of his last 6 games, batting .375 (9×24) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run and 6 RBI.
30-RUN GAME SUNDAY WAS RECORD BREAKING:
• The Smokies defeated the Generals Sunday night 17-13 and it was the most combined runs involving Jackson or West Tenn in franchise history.
• The 30 runs combined were 5 short of the league record (35 in 1988, Orlando 18, Huntsville 17), but it was the first time in league history that 30 runs have been scored without a home run.
• The game involved 29 hits, 5 errors, 20 runners left on bas1e and 15 of 18 starters had hits, 16 of 18 scored runs, 14 of 18 produced RBI’s. Every Smokies starter scored at least 2 runs except for Anthony Giansanti (0).
• The time of game, 3 hours, 55 minutes was the longest 9 inning game this season in the Southern League.
TODAY’S STARTER HOBSON SEEING ERA DROP:
• LHP Cam Hobson has not allowed an earned run in his last 19.0 innings over his last 3 starts. Since April 23, he is 2-0 with a 1.11 ERA (3 ER, 24.1 IP), while walking 7 and striking out 8 in 4 starts. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .247 (38×154) average, including a .130 (3×23) clip vs. left-handed batters. He was named the SL Pitcher of the Week last week, April 29-May 4.
FORMER GENERALS BIG IN M’S 12-5 WIN OVER TB:
• James Jones went 2-for-5 with 3 runs scored and a double (also reached on a fielder’s choice).
• Mike Zunino hit his 6th home run of the season…entered the game T4th in the Majors in home runs amongst catchers behind Atlanta’s Evan Gattis (8), San Francisco’s Buster Posey (6) and Miami’s Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6).
• Stefen Romero notched a career-high 3 hits and hit his first career home run at Safeco Field.
• The Mariners have now earned their 20th win after playing 38 games … The last time the Mariners reached 20 wins in 38 games or fewer was in 2003 when their record after 31 games was 20-11.
• The Generals and Smokies play 15 times this season and 10 of the 15 games occur at The Ballpark at Jackson. Currently the season series is tied at 4-4.
• Last season the Generals went 3-16 against the Smokies after going 17-7 against the Baby Bears in 2012.
• The Generals took 3 of 5 against Tennessee in the series on Smokies Park, April 14-18.