Game #40: Jackson Generals (16-23) vs. Tennessee Smokies (23-16) | 7:05 pm | The Ballpark at Jackson
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Olson (0-1, 5.73) vs. RHP Corey Black (2-3, 2.16)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals and Smokies conclude their series this morning with game 5 of the set…this is the first leg of a 10-game homestand (1-3) with Tennessee and Montgomery…lost 4 of 5 on last road trip at Huntsville…dropped 5 straight series’ after winning first 3.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• Jackson dropped their 5th consecutive series of the season with a 10-7 setback to the Tennessee Smokies on Tuesday night.
• Ketel Marte (2×4, R, BB, K), Nate Melendres (2×5, 2 R, RBI) and Mike Dowd (2×3, BB) each had two-hit nights, but it wasn’t enough as the Generals were once again doomed by a big offensive inning for the Smokies.
• Jackson starter Cam Hobson (3-3, 2.96) struck out five, but dropped to .500 on the year as he picked up third loss.
RECORD BREAKING SERIES:
• The Generals and Smokies have combined for 77 runs over the first 4 games of the series (TNS 45, JXN 32). This is the highest scoring series (4 or more games) in Jackson’s franchise history.
• Last night there were 5 triples combined between the clubs (TNS 3, JXN 2) which was 2 shy of the Southern League record.
HICKS AND PAOLINI REACHING BASE:
• C John Hicks had an RBI and a triple last night and extended his on-base streak to 16 games. During the streak Hicks is batting .250 (15×60), with 2 doubles, 1 triiple, 6 runs, 7 walks, 9 RBI and a .324 OBP. It’s the longest active streak in the league.
• INF Dan Paolini was 1×4 onTuesday and has reached base safely in 14 straight games. During the streak he is batting .244 (11×45) with 3 doubles, 1 home run, 5 runs, 10 RBI and 14 walks. His on-base percentage is .429
MARTE IS AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• SS Ketel Marte now ranks T-3rd in batting AVG (.324), 3rd in hits (45), 4th in stolen bases (13) and is the 4th toughest player in the league to strikeout (1/10.1 AB).
PRINCE MOISES ADDING SOLID RELIEF:
• RH Moises Hernandez, Felix’s older brother has not allowed an earned run in his last 8.1 innings in relief.
BRADY IS LEADING THE BUNCH RIGHT NOW:
• INF Patrick Brady has hit safely in each of his last 6 games, batting .375 (9×24) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run and 6 RBI.
30-RUN GAME SUNDAY WAS RECORD BREAKING:
• The Smokies defeated the Generals Sunday night 17-13 and it was the most combined runs involving Jackson or West Tenn in franchise history.
• The 30 runs combined were 5 short of the league record (35 in 1988, Orlando 18, Huntsville 17), but it was the first time in league history that 30 runs have been scored without a home run.
• The game involved 29 hits, 5 errors, 20 runners left on bas1e and 15 of 18 starters had hits, 16 of 18 scored runs, 14 of 18 produced RBI’s. Every Smokies starter scored at least 2 runs except for Anthony Giansanti (0).
• The time of game, 3 hours, 55 minutes was the longest 9 inning game this season in the Southern League.
JONES AND ZUNINO STAY HOT FOR MARINERS:
• 2013 General James Jones has recorded at least one hit in all 6 of his starts this season, batting .368 (8×23) with 7 runs scored, 3 doubles, 3 walks and 1 stolen base.
• 2012 Jackson catcher Mike Zunino extended his hitting streak to 6 games, batting .316 (6×19) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs and 2 walks.
• The Generals and Smokies play 15 times this season and 10 of the 15 games occur at The Ballpark at Jackson. Currently the season is led by the Smokies 5-4.
• Last season the Generals went 3-16 against the Smokies after going 17-7 against the Baby Bears in 2012.
• The Generals took 3 of 5 against Tennessee in the series on Smokies Park, April 14-18.