Game Central (Sunday, August 17) at Huntsville
Game #125: Jackson Generals 25-30 (56-68) at Huntsville Stars 25-30 (71-54)
Time/Place: 4:00 pm CT | Joe Davis Stadium | Huntsville, Alabama
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Cam Hobson (8-9, 3.97) vs. RHP Drew Gagnon (9-6, 3.70)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals begin a 5-game road series tonight with game 1 of the set at Joe Davis Stadium…this is Jackson’s 5th and final series with Huntsville and are 11-9 overall against the Stars and 4-6 at Huntsville.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals rallied for 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning, including a 2-run double by 1B Patrick Kivlehan, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson fell to Birmingham 5-6 on Saturday night.
• Kivlehan (1×4, R, 2B, 2 RBI) led the team with 2 RBI, while SS Tyler Smith (1×4, 2B, RBI), LF Dario Pizzano (1×4, 2B, RBI) and 2B Patrick Brady (1×3, R, HR, RBI) each drove in 1 of the team’s 5 runs.
• Starter Tyler Pike (5.0,8,5,5,2,0,HR) recorded his 3rd loss, allowing 5 runs on 8 hits over 5.0 innings. RH Matt Brazis (3.0,2,1,1,0,3) allowed 1 run 7th inning, while LH Kyle Hunter (1.0,1,0,0,0,2) allowed 1 hit and struck out 2 in a scoreless 9th inning.
LARA LEADING THE MINORS IN HITS:
• Jordy Lara currently has 161 hits this season between High Desert and Jackson, which leads all of the minors…Wilmer Difo of the HagerstownTigers is 2nd with 159…Lara also ranks T-5th in the minors in extra-base hits (62) and 11th in OPS (.987).
GENERALS CLOSE SEASON WITH 21 GAMES IN 21 DAYS:
• The Generals are in the midst of playing 21 games in 21 days to close the season (3-3) including 6 more home games (BIR, CHA) with road trips to Huntsville and Montgomery. 11 of the final 16 games are against North Division foes. Jackson is 32-28 against their remaining opponents.
KIVLEHAN IS AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks 1st in the Southern League in batting (.319) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.524). Kivlehan also ranks 4th in the M’s organization in average (.308), 4th in HR (19) and 2nd in RBI (95) between Jackson and High Desert. Kivlehan ranks T-2nd in all of MiLB having played in 122 games this season. He ranks 4th in the minors in RBIs with 95.
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
1st Patrick Kivlehan JXN .319
2nd Jake Lamb MOB .318
3rd Rangel Ravelo BIR .317
4th Tom Belza MOB .310
5th Ryan Brett MTG .305
6th Daniel Mayora CHA .303
DID YOU KNOW?
• YOU ALREADY KNEW that the Generals wrap up their season series with Huntsville today, but DID YOU KNOW? that Jackson plays Huntsville 25 times this season which is the most against any Southern League team.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Getting it done on the mound – Jackson is 8-6 in August and posted a 3.09 ERA.
• Over his last 3 starts in August, LH Tyler Olson is 2-1 with a 0.47 ERA (1 ER, 19.1 IP). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .200 (14×70) average, while walking 4 and striking out 16.
• LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run over his last 16.1 innings (9G/1GS). During this stretch, since July 16, Hunter has limited opponents to a .193 (11×57) average, while walking 4 and striking 7.
• Since May 24, RH Stephen Shackleford is 3-1 with a 1.38 ERA (4 ER, 26.0 IP) in 20 relief appearances. During this 20 game stretch he has lowered his season ERA from 4.71 to 3.13, while striking out 38 batters in 26.0 innings.
• RHP Trevor Miller earned his 2nd save in his last 3 outings Tuesday night. Miller is now 2-1, with a 1.64 ERA, with 39 strikeouts and 11 walks in 14 games as a reliever. As a starter, Miller is 3-7, with a 5.45 ERA, with 46 strikeouts and 30 walks in 13 starts.
• C Steve Baron has hit safely in 7 straight games, including 4 of last 5 being multi-hit efforts, batting .462 (12×26) with 2 runs, 3 doubles, 3 RBI and a stolen base. He has upped his average from .175 to .288.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan currently has an 8-game hit steak, batting .387 (12×31) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 8 RBI and 2 walks. He has also hit safely in 13 of his last 14 games, batting .365 (19×52) with 11 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 10 RBI, 6 walks and 3 stolen bases.